Pages

Appreciation

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Things that I took for granted when I was younger that I now appreciate more than ever:
  • Naps!!!  How can kids possibly dislike sleeping?  It's so cozy, comfy, and rejuvenating and I certainly don't get around to it nearly as much as I'd like to!
  • Being a military child...  Hindsight what it is, I've got to meet some really amazing people, and travel to some pretty awesome places... and I doubt my relationship with my family or close friends would be what it is today without this experience
  • Learning a second language.  I took 4 years of Spanish and totally quit after the 4th year was up!  WHY?!?!  It's so useful and exotic, and marketable in this day and age... and I had so much time back then to continue it whereas now I'd have to begin back at square 1.
  • Being the "baby" of the grade - I was born in late October and was always the last one to turn 13, 16, 18, and 21.  (Let's be honest, those are the most important ages to someone before they graduate college).  I was always so upset I had to wait the extra year, but now this has turned in my favor!  I'll be a year later than everyone on turning the scary ages.... like 30, 40, 50, etc!  (Although my mother is somewhere between those ages and is fabulous heehee)
  • Reading.  Oh my GOSH did I hate reading when I was growing up!  But now (when I have extended time on my hands in the summer, or on winter/spring breaks) I'll fly through book after book and can't put them down!
  • Beer.  Once upon a time I hated it, but I've grown to appreciate it very much!  Especially around this time of year when the pumpkin ales come out!
  • Mom & Dad helping with the bills.... and honestly, this still happens to an extent.  I'm a lucky girl with supportive parents, but I miss the days where they did the grocery shopping, filled the gas tank, and took care of insurance (even though they still help me from time to time)!
  • The Lawrence Welk Show - I have no idea why this came to mind, but I always thought secretly that my dad was super goofy for putting it on.  However, there really aren't as many "family appropriate" shows on anymore... When I have kids they'll probably look at me sideways for trying to watch Jeopardy.
  • Homemade meals.  I'm too lazy/busy/tired to cook on a daily basis, so I treasure homemade meals (not just pasta and sauce, or pork tenderloin in a crock pot) more than ever!
  • Etc. :)
I really hope that when I'm approaching my 46th birthday in another 23 years I won't look back on now and reminisce on things I'm not appreciating currently!  With the weekend approaching I think I'll definitely be looking at life with a new perspective and hope to not miss/overlook anything that I've been blessed with!  Especially the lack of grey hairs, the lack of major medical problems, need to save for children's college, etc.  Enjoy your weekend and enjoy the little things =) 

No comments:

All views expressed in this blog are my own. Powered by Blogger.
 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS