Pages

Our Wedding | Special

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

My great-grandma Rose passed away a month before my Aunt Lori's wedding.  It was a bittersweet time in the Marino family; my grandpa was losing his mother, but gaining his first son-in-law.  Grandma Rose was a modest woman who didn't have a large fortune to leave behind.  She lived into her nineties.  She emigrated to the United States from Italy.  She refused to teach her children Italian as she and her husband wanted the kids truly "Americanized," but also never thoroughly learned English herself.  She was known to make a killer lemon meringue pie and always had wet lips as she went in for the big smooch when she greeted you or bid you farewell.  She was a sweet lady that I had the pleasure of vaguely knowing in my early years, but through the stories my dad and grandfather fondly share, she was stubborn and determined and loved by her family.

When she passed, she left behind her engagement ring; a yellow gold ring with a peridot stone in it.  My grandfather gave it to my Aunt Lori on her wedding day; a something old for her to treasure.  As the years went on, Aunt Lori decided that she was going to save it and pass it on to the eldest Marino daughter on her wedding day...  As time went on, I realized that as a flower girl my Aunt's wedding back in 1998, I would someday be that eldest Marino daughter that may inherit this piece.

My wedding day came, pictures were snapped, and suddenly I found my Aunt Lori, my grandfather, and myself out on the back porch at my grandparents' house in joyful tears as the tradition and heirloom was passed along to me.  It was so precious; she was entrusting this heirloom to me, and I was fortunate enough to still have my grandfather with me to pass it along to me.  






I also had the pleasure of sharing in yet another special tradition.  My grandma's mother also passed in her nineties.  I was lucky growing up; I knew 5 of my great-grandparents, 1 of which who is still living today.  Grandma Ludovici was flashy and fabulous.  She was an adorable lady who loved her costume jewelry and getting her hair done.  When she passed, she had left behind a beautiful diamond cross.  It became somewhat of another tradition that each of the grandchildren and great grandchildren wore it in some facet on their wedding day and has been passed through two of my cousins and myself.  

My grandma pinned it safe and sound on my dress, right above my "something blue," so I would have a piece of Great-Grandma Ludovici with us at the wedding and reception to celebrate.  I felt so loved and knew that they would be looking down from above on our marriage.  




I'm so excited to pass along the cross to the next person who is to be married... but for now am unsure who that will be.  As for the ring, if I go by the tradition set forth, it would be inherited by my brother's future daughter on her wedding day.  Considering my brother is just into his teenaged years, it could be awhile before this happens :)

Staying in the family, I have to show my propers to two other special moments that occurred that made the day so very precious.  My uncle was so kind as to play the trumpet for us during our ceremony and brought chills to our families with his talent.  But to top it off, my talented sister agreed to sing Ave Maria at our ceremony.  She had a week to memorize the lyrics, and happily agreed without a second bat of an eye.  

This is just a snippet of her during her rehearsal, but she was amazing.  She moved many of us to tears & I am so proud to call her my sister.




Speechless.  

So needless to say, I felt like the luckiest girl ever on our wedding day.  I was blessed to be a part of such special traditions, had multiple family members who bent over backwards to make our day so perfect, and married the love of my life.  I will hold these memories and moments so dear to my heart for as long as I live. 

For more wedding recaps see:  bridesmaid's gifts | rehearsal dinner | wedding details | hours before | from Miss to Mrs. | the reception | honeymoon pt. 1 | honeymoon pt. 2
 photo Signature_zpsbda4491c.png

4 comments:

The Pink Growl said...

You are stunning Christina! Just gorgeous and you look so happy!

Laura said...

Wow, such sweet traditions! Those pictures of you and your grandfather are just too much - they are priceless. I love that your family did so much to make your day special. How cool that you will be able to pass along these traditions one day :)

Mary said...

You look so beautiful! Love the traditions! Very special!

Anonymous said...

The ring and the cross are beautiful!

All views expressed in this blog are my own. Powered by Blogger.
 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS