Pages

Pulled Pork Sandwiches on Homemade Rolls

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Today is a two-for-one day in the recipe department.  It might have been the increase in wine/beer consumption due to the recent snow days, or the increase in boredom due to the snow days, but I have been a cooking fiend.  We have been trying to balance our eating-out habits with eating-in more frequently (but have tried 2 new restaurants in the last week... whoops!), and I've really been enjoying it.  For Valentine's Day we stayed in and enjoyed this deliciousness - and I hope after seeing it you will, too!  

I give you, pulled pork sandwiches on homemade rolls:

Ingredients for pork:
1.5 lbs. pork roast
2 small chopped onions
1 can of coke (or coke zero)
1/3 c. worcestershire sauce
1.5 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 cups beef broth
3/4 tsp. dry mustard
3/4 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. red ground cayenne pepper
3 cloves garlic
1 c. ketchup OR 1 c. BBQ sauce (we ended up using Jack Daniel's BBQ)
1 tbsp butter


Directions:
In a crockpot, combine all ingredients except for 1 c. beef broth, bbq sauce, and butter.  Let cook for 8 hours or until the pork falls apart.  Once the pork is cooked, combine remaining ingredients in a pan and bring to a boil.  Drain the pork and return to the crockpot with the boiled mixture.  Mix well and let cook for 15-20 minutes longer.  Serve on your favorite roll or solo!  

In the mean time, I also got a little fancy schmancy and whipped out my new bread maker gifted to us for Christmas by my loving grandma & puppa.  

We figured we'd see how the homemade rolls turned out rather than buying from a bakery (especially since a lot of places were wiped out of bread stock b/c of the storms!)



I just followed one of the recipes in the user guide and was very pleased with the turn-out.  The only suggest I have is don't use a muffin tin to form/bake your rolls!  The user guide suggested this (which I thought was a genius idea); however, the rolls turned out a little muffin-y shaped for my liking.  Oh well, live and learn!  

And there you have it!  




Yet again, husband tested, husband approved.  2-for-2, baby!  

If you have delicious (and user-friendly) recipes to share with me, please do!  Only requirements: must be easy-ish, semi-healthy, and cost conscious :) 

 photo Signature_zpsbda4491c.png

1 comment:

Linnea said...

Thanks for sharing. I plan to make this tomorrow!

All views expressed in this blog are my own. Powered by Blogger.
 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS