Pages

How to cook a husband; How to keep a wife

Monday, August 19, 2013

A few months ago, I had mentioned briefly the significance of the prints given to me as a gift in this post when I shared this picture of Nick's aunt and I:




Fast forward to today and they are proudly displayed on our beige walls in the kitchen for all to see.  



I had seen the prints before at one of Nick's aunt's homes during the holidays a couple years ago, then learned that my now sister-in-law Sara was also given them as a gift at her bridal shower.  It kind of became a special right-of-passage in my mind...  as if it were an induction of sorts into the family.  When I opened them up and read the words they rang very near and dear to my heart; I shed a tear or two, and giggled at some parts.  I was so giddy to be a part of this family.  

I am happy to share the words that the artist writes, but please realize I am not taking them as my own, nor am I sharing them to be taken from her.  

How to cook a husband:
"Be careful in your selection.  Do not choose too young and take only such varieties that have grown in a good moral atmosphere.  Once you have made your selection don't change your mind and give your entire thought to preparing him for domestication.  Some women are always keeping their husbands in a pickle while others are constantly getting them into hot water.  Even poor varieties may be made sweet, tender and good by garnishing with patience, sweetened with smiles and flavored with kisses.  Wrap with a mantle of charity.  Keep warm with steady fire of domestic devotion.  When thus prepared they will keep for years." 

How to keep a wife:
"Be careful to keep her in a moderately warm atmosphere.  Do not refrigerate.  Do not over-bake, boil or broil.  Neither should you keep her in a stew.  Women are tender and bruise easily so do not pinch or whip too hard.  When she appears to wilt take her out to dinner.  Sprinkle with equal amounts of strength and kindness.  Baste often with love and affection.  Add generous amounts of praise.  Garnish occasionally with flowers as this improves the flavor over the years."

Just a nice little reminder to love deeply and truly all the days of our lives.  Thanks again for the beautiful prints, Aunt Mar.  :) 

 photo Signature_zpsbda4491c.png

4 comments:

Kait said...

What a fun tradition!

Amie said...

Cute! Love both of those, how fun!

#mommylife said...

that's so sweet!

Liz @ iheartvegetables said...

Aw, how fun!

All views expressed in this blog are my own. Powered by Blogger.
 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS