Pages

I'm going to make a terrible parent someday

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Well, we are now two weeks into this whole puppy-parent thing...  After giving it some thought, I've come to the conclusion that I am going to make the world's worst mother someday.  I knew very little about raising a puppy and know even less about having a child, so there's that.  Because of this, I've warned Nick that he may want to modify his expectations & may want to reconsider reproducing with me (when the time comes, of course). Here's what has brought me to this conclusion:

1.  I am neurotic.  If Penny is overly nippy, I'm convinced she's aggressive.  When we leave her in her pen while running errands, I'm convinced we're ruining her & she'll hate us.  She sometimes behaves as though we starve her, and thus I alternate adding sweet potatoes with adding plain Greek yogurt to her dinner for added nutrients/protein.  And when she's slept more hours than not for the past two days/acting a bit off, I called the vet with a million questions.  Instead of answers, Penny and I now have an "observation" appointment scheduled for tomorrow.  Womp, womp.  In my defense on the last one, she did get diagnosed with an infection this past Friday, so I'm hyper cautious about any potential medication side-effects and/or the progress on her recuperating.


2.  I let her misbehave (occasionally) long enough to snap a picture.  Any opportunity for a photo op, right?  I just couldn't help myself here.  We usually do not let her jump up onto the sofa, but I mean, c'mon!  Besides, it's so darn hard to say "no" to that face.  



3.  I found sprinkling her with the water hose humorous.  I promise I love this little pup more than words, but teasing her with the gentle mist stream on the hose today (in this 90+ degree weather) was kind of fun.  She enjoyed herself (see: cone free) and it certainly got her up and moving, but the photo may say otherwise.  


4.  I sympathize with her that she has to wear a cone, yet can't help but giggle when I saw her in it for the first time.  It's as if she's saying, "really ma?!"  Yes Penny, really.  


5.  And last, but not least, I find myself occasionally wanting to fast forward to when she's already house broken and potty trained.  I feel awful admitting that, but she's hard work!  (le duh).  I'm trying to treasure every last moment of puppyhood, and know we have a long way to go, but sometimes I look ahead to when things will settle down a bit.  If you've ever had/currently have a puppy, please tell me I'm not the worst person in the world for thinking this?

So alas, how I come to the (current) conclusion that I'd make a terrible mom someday.  If I'm making these errors in judgement/having these anxious feelings with a puppy, just imagine what's in store for a real baby bear.  Fortunately, that isn't even on the radar.  This furry girl is as close as we're coming for quite awhile, but man does she have a lot to teach me.  I'm all eyes and ears, but I have a huge learning curve to overcome.  Penny, please forgive me for any/all mistakes I have and will inevitably make.  And pretty pretty please lose those baby teeth stat.  Mama loves you.  :) 

 photo Signature_zpsbda4491c.png

2 comments:

Ashley said...

LOL! This post is so cute :0) I agree with you though - puppies are hard work! The teething stage is the worst. However, with all this being said, I think you're going to make a great momma real day! And I have to say, Penny is just the cutest (even when she's misbehaving and has a cone on her head). LOL.

<3 Ash

Anonymous said...

Certainly not the worst person in the world for wanting to fast forward through potty training -- I was like that with teething! Yikes! Ice was our best friend through that period.

Good luck and have fun : )

All views expressed in this blog are my own. Powered by Blogger.
 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS